Unbundled Legal Services & Limited Scope Representation
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
9:00 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
Ecker Business Training Center
2.0 CLE Credits/2.0 Ethics Credits
9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Check in and Continental Breakfast
9:30 a.m. – 9:35 a.m.
Andrea C. Terry, Esq., Director of Continuing Legal Education, MSBA
9:35 a.m. - 10:05 a.m.
1. The history and need of unbundling of services
2. The ‘market’ unbundling is intended to help
3. Anecdotal experience with unbundling
The Honorable Anne K. Albright, Montgomery County Circuit Court
10:05 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
1. When you cannot unbundle
a. Never in any criminal case
b. not when ethically inappropriate (Glenn with examples)
c. no application in Federal Court
2. How to achieve an unbundled engagement
a. The rule provides for ONE retainer agreement
1. Review of the form agreement
2. Rationale for the form agreement
b. OUR recommendation for a second agreement
1. Review of proposed form second agreement
2. Rationale for second agreement
3. What if there is a second, third or fourth engagement?
4. What if the Court requires more than the lawyer has ‘bargained for providing’?
a. What kinds of things might a court require
b. Consequences to an attorney for failing to provide
5. What happens when the representation ends?
a. The Rule doesn’t require an order
b. Should I request an order when not required?
Glenn M. Grossman, Of Counsel, Eccleston and Wolf Maryland Office
Erin A. Risch, Esq., Principal, Eccleston and Wolf Maryland Office
Alvin I. Frederick, Esq., Principal, Eccleston and Wolf Maryland Office
11:30 a.m. -11:45 a.m.
Q and A