*****In order to get Virginia CLE credits you must buy the book separately.*****The Maryland State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Department presents:
Appellate Practice in Maryland
Wednesday, March 13, 2019
12:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Universities at Shady Grove (USG) Conference Center
BLDG1 I-134 Auditorium
9630 Gudelsky Drive
Rockville MD 20850
Questions and Answers on Effective Appellate Practice with The Honorable Dan A. Friedman and The Honorable Irma S. Raker
Leading the event will be Emily Malarkey, Esq., Steven M. Klepper, Esq. and Paul Mark Sandler, Esq. Members and guests will be invited to pose questions of their own.
If fish could talk, who would ask an Angler how to catch a fish? These judges can talk. Let’s ask them how to win on appeal.
Course materials: Appellate Practice for the Maryland Lawyer: State and Federal, Fifth EditionAgenda
12:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.Registration
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.Questions and Answers on Effective Appellate Practice
Topics:Tips on Effective Brief Writing
- What format is required of the brief?
- What do you believe is the most important part of the brief?
- Do you have recommendation on how to present the questions presented?
- Do you favor few or many?
- What are some of the common mistakes by lawyers in brief writing?
- Does the reply brief have any value?
- When reading the briefs what do most judges read first?
- What is the decision making process of the Court of Special Appeals
- How best to prepare a Joint Record extract?
Tips on Effective Oral Argument
Unique Features of the Court of Appeals of Maryland
- What is more important oral argument or the brief?
- What are some of the mistakes by advocates during oral argument?
- Should the advocates assume that the Judges have read the briefs?
- Is it accurate to conclude that the presiding Judge will write the opinion?
- Is it accurate to conclude that the Judge posing the most questions is writing the opinion?
- What are some tips on presenting an effective oral argument?
- Do most judges have an idea about how they will decide the case before oral argument
- Has oral argument ever changed your mind?
- Is saving rebuttal time wise?
- What percentages of cases are reversed if Certiorari is granted?
- Guide us through the decision making process of the Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Which is more important the brief or oral argument
- Reply briefs
3:00 p.m.Program Adjourns